A place for everyone
When planning and setting up the rights management, BlueSpice distinguishes between users, groups, roles and permissions. It also distinguishes between anonymous wiki visitors without an account and registered wiki users with an account.
Meaningful roles for simpler rights management
First, wiki users are assigned to a group. Groups are then assigned a set of rights with the help of roles. Individual roles bundle numerous individual permissions under one umbrella. Rights can be assigned for the entire wiki or for individual namespaces — for example, different rights for employees in different departments of the company.
Typical roles are:
- Reader: can read and comment
- Editor: can also edit content
- Reviewer: can also approve content
- Administrator: can also configure settings
Setting up protected namespaces
To reduce complexity and increase user acceptance, we recommend wiki hierarchies be as flat as possible. With the help of namespaces
- your wiki can always be divided into different areas,
- separate areas can be set up so that only authorized employees of a department have access to that information,
- you can exclude pages and files from the search function and achieve better search results,
- pages in different wiki areas can be designed differently.
The example of a cabinet nicely illustrates the concept of namespaces in BlueSpice:
- There are shelves where everyone can see the contents and change them.
- There are glass cabinets with locks so everyone can see what is inside but not everyone can make changes.
- There are locked wooden cabinets where only selected people can look inside and make changes.
- Each cabinet can look different.
Grafik: Name spaces and categories in BlueSpice.
Request an orientation call
BlueSpice is a brand of Hallo Welt! GmbH, a worldwide leading provider and consultant for MediaWiki solutions.
Our company was founded to make the technology and concepts of Wikipedia usable for companies. Since 2007 we have been developing the knowledge management platform BlueSpice based on the open source software MediaWiki. With our growing team of more than 20 employees, we offer companies an enterprise software for the implementation of integrated management systems, documentation systems, organization manuals, intranet wikis and flexible knowledge bases. We ensure that your wiki project is professionally planned, implemented and maintained. Let’s wiki together!